The purpose of this guideline is to communicate how the factor Benthic Communities and Habitats is considered by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in the environmental impact assessment (EIA) process. It has superseded EAG 7.
Specifically, the guideline:
- describes the factor Benthic Communities and Habitats and explains the associated objective
- describes EIA considerations for this factor
- discusses the environmental values of benthic communities and habitats, and their significance
- describes issues commonly encountered by the EPA during EIA of this factor
- identifies activities that can impact on benthic communities and habitats
- provides a summary of the type of information that may be required by the EPA to undertake EIA related to this factor.