The purpose of this guideline is to communicate how the factor Marine Environmental Quality is considered by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in the environmental impact assessment (EIA) process. In simple terms, the intent is to prevent or minimise pollution and protect the environmental values associated with the marine environment. Specifically, the guideline:
- defines the factor Marine Environmental Quality and explains the associated environmental objective
- describes EIA considerations for this factor
- discusses the environmental values supported by the factor Marine Environmental Quality, and their significance
- describes issues commonly encountered by the EPA during EIA of this factor
- identifies activities that can impact on marine environmental quality
- provides a summary of the type of information that may be required by the EPA to undertake EIA related to this factor.